Interessant verhaal van Thom Hogan over de D3

Discussies over fotografie met de D1, D2, D3, D4, D5 en D6

Onderwerp:

Interessant verhaal van Thom Hogan over de D3

Berichtdoor Skippy » do dec 20 2007 9:58 am

Interessant verhaal van Thom Hogan;

Stirring Nikon

Dec 17--I have a few comments today about the D3. No, I'm not about to review the camera or even reveal any of my personal findings about using it yet. Those will wait for my full review.

However, Nikon's advertising campaign has certainly stirred up one big hornet's nest, while pointing in a direction that most people aren't seeing. Let's start with the flying insects.

The most recent issue of Popular Photography here in the United States includes a 20x30" poster of a Sandro shot of racing motorcycles taken at the Brainerd Int'l Raceway. (To see the image in question, go to the StunningNikon site and click on Sandro's name.) Nikon has made various claims about the shot in different advertising venues. The primary tag line that's used with this (and other D3 images) is "Do the undoable" and the implication in almost every headline I've seen so far where this image is used in Nikon advertising is that "only the D3 could have gotten the shot." Indeed, if you watch the video on the Nikon site, you'll hear Sandro say similar things several times, including "I don't think I could have done it with another camera."

Such claims, of course, stir the fan-boys into action. Some just don't get the point Nikon was trying to make (hint: it's not that you can't take nice motorcyle racing pictures with other cameras, and it's not that this is a superior image to any other motorcycle shot that's been taken). Some just don't like having their camera brand of choice called out. Some just want to argue.

First, I'd like to point out that this is the first time in a while that Nikon has actually pushed images with their new pro equipment advertising. The D2x was advertised without images for quite some time at a time when Canon was inserting large posters of Bo Derek taken with their latest EOS 1DsII. Personally, I'm happy to see Nikon back in the serious pro ad game, even though I don't think they nailed their point.

So what was the point?

ISO 6400, 9 fps, 1/5000, no flash, taken after sunset in low light, of very fast moving objects. Put another way: very trying conditions, very excellent results.

That Nikon is willing to take a D3 image at ISO 6400 and put large copies of the result in people's faces is the most telling point of all. I don't see any other camera manufacturer doing that, actually. But I think Nikon so far has missed the opportunity to make a direct point with their D3 advertising. The "challenge" in Nikon Pro Challenge is assumed, not explicitly stated. The Balog and Wald shots don't seem much like equipment challenges as they do physical challenges. The Sandro shot is an equipment challenge, but you're left to your own devices to figure out how challenging it was (apparently, that's beyond the ability of some Internet forum posters to figure out ;~).

Nikon really needs to up their game here. Play up the assignment: "The sun set a half hour ago. You're still trying catch the action in the corner of the Speedway. The Art Director wants results today. Is your camera up to the challenge?" Or perhaps "You're knee-deep in freezing water. But the Speedlight you need to change the value for is 50 feet away. The ambient light and tide are rapidly changing. Can your camera control the light?"

However, I want to make another comment about Nikon's pro advertising with the D3. Notice anything about it? Well, it avoids studio and resolution situations. Nikon is advertising the D3 as if it were a D3h. That just might give you a clue as to whether Nikon really has another pro body up its sleeve (hint: let the clue hit you over the head a few times). Even the lenses that were introduced with the D3 are a clue. Quick, what lenses will a photojournalist or sports shooter want? Why fast 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm for the photojournalist and long telephotos with VR for the sports shooter. Hmm. What lenses were introduced with the D3?

A studio or landscape shooter wants both a different camera and a different lens set. Wouldn't an 85mm f/1.4G AF-S be perfect for the studio shooter? Wanna guess when such a lens might be announced?

My guess is that Nikon's D3 campaign is telegraphing its intent to have another pro camera in the not-too-distant future (e.g. within a year).
Skippy

Ervaringsniveau: ****
Foto's bewerken toestaan: Ja
Contacteer:

Onderwerp:

Berichtdoor Cees » do dec 20 2007 10:25 am

Als ik me niet vergis, is de conclusie van Thom hier ook al eens geopperd.
Vind eigenlijk dat hij er nog niet eens snel mee is......

Groet, Cees :D
Groet, Cees

Analoog Nikon-speelgoed en wat bijbehorend glaswerk
Lid NCN
In het land der blinden is éénoog koning
Cees

Forumlid

Foto's bewerken toestaan: Nee

Onderwerp:

Berichtdoor wil » do dec 20 2007 10:39 am

Conclusie: voor mijn soort werkzaamheden moet ik wachten met aanschaf. Als de man tenminste gelijk krijgt. Nu mag ik toch pas over 2 jaar weer vervangen.
wil

Clublid

Onderwerp:

Re: Interessant verhaal van Thom Hogan over de D3

Berichtdoor yoyo » do dec 20 2007 1:05 pm

Skippy schreef:Wouldn't an 85mm f/1.4G AF-S be perfect for the studio shooter? Wanna guess when such a lens might be announced?

My guess is that Nikon's D3 campaign is telegraphing its intent to have another pro camera in the not-too-distant future (e.g. within a year).

Thommy H. leest hier mee... :D
(of in het NikonCafé)
yoyo

Onderwerp:

Berichtdoor a90 » do dec 20 2007 1:16 pm

Wordt toch wel benieuwd naar die D3x, laat maar komen zou ik zeggen :)
D50 met 18-55 in een Vanguard tasje en nog wat Nikon spul

A wiser fellow than myself once said "Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar, well, he eats you"
a90

Clublid

Onderwerp:

Re: Interessant verhaal van Thom Hogan over de D3

Berichtdoor Skippy » do dec 20 2007 1:24 pm

yoyo schreef:Thommy H. leest hier mee... :D
(of in het NikonCafé)

Tuurlijk leest ie de belangrijke Amerikaanse fora, net zoals de marketinglui van Nikon dat zullen doen als ze verstandig zijn, daar ziiten de gebruikers/klanten.

Wel leuk voor je hè Yoyo, kun je toch bij Nikon blijven :wink:
Skippy

Foto's bewerken toestaan: Ja
Contacteer:

Terug naar “D1, D2, D3, D4, D5 & D6”